You head to the grocery store ready to grab the medicine cabinet essentials: vitamins, supplements, and basic over-the-counter meds. You want to prepare the best you can to have things ready in case you or a family member starts feeling under the weather.
However, as you peruse the aisles, you find that every label has SO. MANY. INGREDIENTS.
Could these be toxic? Why is children’s Tylenol BRIGHT RED? How much research has gone into these products? Are they safe for me and your family? Are these products doing more harm than good?
While we can’t speak for every product out there – there may be some great ones! – the truth is that it’s hard to know. You would have to spend countless hours reading labels and doing your own in-depth research, but no one has time for that when reaching for relief in a pinch.
We would like to propose a better alternative to over-the-counter meds: stock your own DIY holistic home remedy kit with simple ingredients you know and trust!
Here’s a tried and true list of things you can keep on hand in case of minor injuries or illnesses, plus a few daily supplements for ongoing health:
1. Probiotics – These guys are friendly bacterial strains that promote a healthy gut and bump out disease-causing bacteria. When probiotics colonize, your body has less room for the bad stuff (i.e. you’ll have a happy gut community). After suffering through food poisoning or undergoing a round of strong antibiotics that strip your gut microbiome, consider resetting your gut with probiotics.
Probiotics may help:
- Treat/manage stomach ulcers
- Ease gastroenteritis
- Restore gut health
- Relieve IBS
- Alleviate chronic diarrhea
- Support the immune system
- Relieve food poisoning or stomach virus
2. Elderberry – You can find elderberry in many forms for both adults and children: teas, pills, gummies, lozenges, syrup, etc. Elderberry supplements are generally considered safe, and may be an effective treatment for both the common cold and the flu, potentially reducing the number of sick days by 50%!
3. Echinacea & Zinc – Want to get over a cold fast? Take these at the first sign something is coming on. Echinacea is safe and effective for both children and adults. Studies show that both echinacea and zinc may reduce the severity of cold symptoms and shorten the length of the illness by 1-2 days.
*Zinc is shown to be less effective in children than in adults.
4. Chamomile – Do you enjoy a warm cup of chamomile tea before bed? Maybe it’s time to start. Not only does the daisy tea taste great and feel so relaxing, it has many health benefits. Like the rest of this list, chamomile is generally accepted as mild and safe. Plus, many studies have pointed toward its true efficacy – here’s one among many on PubMed.
Use chamomile to:
- Sooth sore throat
- Help with sleep and rest
- Ease anxiety and stress
- Calm skin irritation, rashes, and bites
- Promote digestive health
- Control blood sugar
- Boosts immune system
5. Aloe Vera – The most versatile remedy on this list! This pretty succulent plant is very safe and mild and can aid in many common ailments. Not only is Aloe Vera hydrating, it also contains key vitamins and minerals and can help achieve alkalinity. No wonder it’s so popular! You can find Aloe Vera juice in most grocery stores, or just grow your own and make it yourself. You’ll have topical and internal remedies on hand! (I’ve heard Aloe Vera smoothies are pretty delicious.)
Aloe Vera benefits include:
- Heartburn relief (consume 1-3 ounces of the gel before meals)
- GERD relief
- Prevent fruits & veggies from spoiling
- Prevent/treat gum disease & bad breath (use as a safe mouthwash)
- Control blood sugar
- Gentle natural laxative
- Heal Wounds
- Sooth skin after sunburn or prevent acne (acts as both a moisturizer and pain reliever)
6. Arnica – Also known as mountain daisy. You can find this remedy in pill/capsule form or as a topical cream or gel, but we recommend it for topical use only (*improperly diluted oral doses can be fatal). Because of the internal risk, it’s not recommended for application to broken skin or open wounds for an extended period of time. Think of this as a non-steroidal pain solution – much better than IcyHot. Read more research on PubMed.
Arnica is primarily used for:
- Sudden shock or injury
- Breaks or sprains
- Pain relief
- Bruising and swelling
- Chronic pain
- Sore muscles
- Joint pain & inflammation
Holistic health is more than finding homeopathic remedies when illness strikes – it’s about achieving optimal health from the beginning. Holistic health includes a healthy lifestyle, and diet is a great place to start. Earthotic’s Organic Super Green Energy Booster and Organic Chocolate Protein Booster keep your body feeling strong, healthy, and energized – no matter what comes your way. Fuel your body with goodness today! Shop our products.